Everyone has the same goal with their website or blog, and that’s to gain better Google rankings. The problem is, not everyone knows how to go about getting this done, and even the people who think they know, often don’t. There is a great deal of conflicting information out there and blackhat strategies that could end up creating more issues for your site than anything else.
What the majority of people are familiar with already to some extent or another is on page SEO. Specifically, most people are familiar with the concept of using keywords in order to help boost their Google rankings. However, the other side of the coin is all about the SEO work that you do OFF site. This is collectively referred to as off page SEO, and in today’s world of online marketing it’s safe to say it’s even more powerful than any on page SEO methods.
Below are 10 of the most important factors when it comes to off-page SEO and increasing your Google rankings. By following this advice and incorporating these strategies into your own SEO strategy, you will be giving yourself the best opportunity to soar up the search engine rankings.
1. Backlinks – The long story short is that the more backlinks (one way links to your site) tha you have leading to your website the better your website will be able to rank. This is one of the most important elements of improving your Google rankings with off page SEO.
2. Backlink Quality – While the more backlinks you have for your website the better, the quality of these backlinks plays a vital role. Not all links are created equally, and ones that have more inherent value will provide a larger boost to your Google rankings. High quality one way back links in particular, especially from related sites, or better yet, high page rank sites, are key to your search engine rankings. The more the better.
3. Backlink Diversity – In addition to the quantity and quality of backlinks you have leading to your website, the diversity of backlinks you have also plays a role. It will help your rankings much more to have links coming in from numerous sources including blogs, directories, forums, articles, related websites and more than to just have links coming in from one individual class or network.
4. Backlink Anchor Text – Having a backlink is great, but having a backlink that includes highly targeted anchor text is even better. The anchor text used in a link leading to one of your web pages will help associate that page with the included term. This mans that it’s a great way to improve your Google rankings for your targeted keywords and key phrases.
5. Website History and Age: The longer your website has been around and the older your domain is, the more credible and reputable you will be viewed. You can’t do much about this problem if your site is new, but you can consider purchasing older, existing domains as long as they are in good standing with the major search engines.
6. Social Networking – The growth of social networking has been extremely link, and it’s a great way to improve your off-page SEO. You can build a large and diverse amount of backlinks to your site but you will also be able to reach out and connect with more prospects and potential customers and clients. Your participation will help lead to an increased web presence and stronger results across the board.
7. Visitor Behavior: The way that visitors behave when they see your website can actually affect your Google rankings. Bounce rate is a measure of how many one page visits to your website that there are. The lower your bounce rate, the more valued, related and worthwhile your website is viewed as being. Therefore you have to strive to minimize your bounces and provide meaningful, useful content with an intuitive and engaging design.